A brave composer, performer, and traveler, Marina Evans combines strong, sultry vocals with traditional folk americana and an indie pop edge to create a sound that is all her own. Her studio work deftly combines various styles, genres, and instrumentation – from sweet ballads to folk anthems to straight up rock and roll – and paints a picture of a versatile and passionate artist.
Beginning her career as a teenager performing the American Songbook in a jazz duo, Evans found her voice as a songwriter while in college in New York City. Teaching herself folk guitar and mixing it with the jazz inflections she had honed in her voice – an aspect of her sound she still preserves today, performing not only as a songwriter but also with several big bands around New England – led to a unique blend of genres that she has refined over countless hours on the road, the stage, and in the studio.
In recent years Evans has written and released 3 original EPs and a full-length album, and has traveled with her music across the United States – from Portland to Nashville, New Orleans to Los Angeles, and everywhere in between. Marina has performed in London and in Italy as well, where she wrote, recorded, and co-produced her two records The Tuscan Sessions and Unbound with Italian guitarist and producer Bernardo Baglioni.
Her unique sound and powerful stage presence have earned her opening sets for such legends as Judy Collins, Jonathan Edwards, Loudon Wainwright III, and Ellis Paul; she has also been honored with two consecutive nominations for Female Performer of the Year at the New England Music Awards (2014 and 2015). A bold, honest performer, clever lyricist, and a dedicated songwriter, Marina Evans is a star on the rise whose songs and spirit are not to be missed.
Selected Performance Venues and Festivals:
- Shalin Liu Performance Center, Rockport, MA
- Old Sloop Coffeehouse, Rockport, MA
- The Red Room at Cafe 939, Boston, MA
- Outside the Box Festival, Boston, MA
- New Bedford Folk Festival, New Bedford, MA
- Tupelo Music Hall, Londonderry, NH
- Great Waters Music Festival, Wolfeboro, NH
- Vermont Music Festival, Waitsfield, VT
- Port City Blue, Portland, ME
- The Bitter End, New York, NY
- Rockwood Music Hall, New York, NY
- Taps & Tapas, Nashville, TN
- Room 5, Los Angeles, CA
- Jazz Club, Florence, Italy
- Ostaia Da-u Neo, Genova, Italy
- The Troubadour, London, United Kingdom
Selected Radio Appearances/Features:
- 89.7 WGBH – National Public Radio (NPR) (Boston and New England)
- 92.5 The River (Boston, MA)
- 95.9 WATD’s Almost Famous (Boston, MA)
- 91.5 WUML (Lowell, MA)
- 980AM WCAP (Lowell, MA)
- 107.5 Frank FM (Maine)
- 105.9 FM – The Radiator (Burlington, VT)
- Evolvement Radio (EvoRad) Earth Tone Artist Series (New England)
- RadioGas (Italy)